What is Sumo?
Simulation of urban mobility is abbreviated as Sumo and it is considered as the continuous multi modal traffic simulation, microscopic, highly portable and open source package created to regulate and manage the networks. It is permitting the intermodal traffic system modeling processes such as pedestrians, public transport, road vehicles and etc.
What is VANET?
The process which is used for the short range wireless communication is called as vehicular ad hoc network (VANET). Most significantly, it is the infrastructure less network, decentralized and self-organizing. In addition, it is different from the technologies such as GSM, WiFi and Wimax.
Features of Sumo
- Open source
- Sumo is utilized and modified through the requirements that are available through the licenses such as
- General public license v2.0
- Eclipse public license v2.0
- Sumo is used in various platforms such as MacOS, Windows and Linux, then it is implemented through the languages such as python and C++ along with the portable libraries
- Simulation can be boosted through the following features
- Unlimited simulation time
- Unlimited amount of simulated vehicles
- Unlimited network size
- Traffic lights
- The traffic light schedules have to modify visually along with the netedit
- Generate automatic schedules
- Schedules can be imported from the external data sources
- Demand generation
- Traffic counts on streets and junctions, originate, destination and matrices, virtual population models are used for the generation process of realistic demand profiles
- Network import
- Common network formats are used to import the road networks and they are
- Online interaction
- Traffic control interface (TraCI) is used for the live simulation to control the characteristics of all the simulation objects
- Multimodal traffic
- Various modes of transportations are combined and simulate the followings
- Public transport
- Microscopic simulation
- Movement of all the individual objects are simulated through the vehicle modeling, explicitly of public transport and pedestrians
- Traffic management
- The induction loops and model video detectors are used to regulate the traffic interactively through the vehicle behavior, traffic lights and controlling speed limits
- Vehicle communication
- The implementation and evaluation of vehicle communication technologies through functions of communication network simulator such as
- Automated driving
- It is used to integrate the automated vehicles in traffic simulations and to equip the vehicles with the device based on the transition of control (ToC)
Uses of Sumo
In general, Sumo is the wealth supporting tool that is used to automate the core task to create, implement and evaluate the traffic simulation including the emission calculation, visualization, route calculations, network import and etc. The customer models are used to develop the Sumo and that provides several APIs for the remote control simulation.
For your ease, the research experts in Sumo vehicular ad hoc network have enlisted the real time applications that are used to implement the Sumo VANET projects in the following.
Application Areas of Sumo
- Simulation of parking traffic
- Autonomous driving function for simulation and validation in the cooperation among other simulators
- V2X community is generally using Sumo for the process of application evaluation and realistic vehicle traces in the online loop along with the functions of network simulator
- Sumo is utilized to support the simulated in vehicle telephony characteristics to evaluate the performance of traffic surveillance in GSM
- Route choice of vehicles are examined with some methods such as
- Consideration of network wide influences of the autonomous route choice
- Enhancement of new methods
- Evaluation of eco aware routing related to the polluted emission
- Performance of traffic light evaluation with the evaluation of weekly timing plans and modern algorithms
Sumo VANET Simulation
The main objective of vehicular networks and vehicular as hoc networks (VANET) is extended to the large collection of several applications and that is profitable for the wireless communication among the vehicles. The input data includes the speed limits, position of destination, way to go, road network, initial positions and the characteristics of vehicles such as maximum speed, acceleration and etc.
In addition, Sumo is considered as the free implementation of simulator and that supports consequent model of cars. The Input data based on Sumo is one of the massive network files and the one route file. Multiple input formats with the netconvert modules are used to generate the road network file. Then, the input files are based on the OSM files through the open street map database and shape files from tiger database. Consequently, we have listed out the research project topics in Sumo vehicular ad hoc network along with its implementation process.
Current SUMO Projects for VANET
- It is an idea to overcome the hurdle through delivering a set of modern and self-organizing elements for traffic management and they are applicable at the penetration rates. It addition, it asserting the usability of deployment and provide the traffic management algorithms for the traffic surveillance and traffic control components. Then, it implement and extend the wide range of simulation software such as
- Vehicular communication (iTETRIS and Ns3)
- Traffic (SUMO)
- Vehicular pollutant emission (PHEM)
- Mobility inside
- It is the platform in all the mobility provided to networked in one seamless service and the mobility service providers are also provided in the common marketplace and that creates the intermodal travel
- Urban mobility
- It is deployed to perform the developmental functions of intermodal routing and modeling to transfer among the vehicles in Sumo
- Vehicle actuated intelligent traffic signal control (VITAL)
- The novel methods are designed to utilize the data stem for new data acquisition methods such as vehicle to infrastructure communication, probe and video vehicle data. The data utilization is the foremost invention of this method for using the surrogate measures such as time headway to control
- Transition area for infrastructure assisted driving (TransAID)
- This project is proposed to develop the new hierarchical traffic management techniques to permit the smooth integration of automated vehicles in the traffic systems. In addition, some concerns are dedicated for those areas of road to monitor the automation systems to reach the limits. The exploration of future directions in vehicle automation systems might act on the road
- Managing automated vehicles enhances network (MAVEN)
- The main objective of this project is to provide solution for the managing automated vehicles in the urban environment along with the signalized intersections and mixed traffic. The algorithms developed to organize the flow of structural design to assist the automated vehicles and to structure the negotiation process among the structural design and vehicles
The above mentioned are the some of the significant research projects accomplished by our research experts in Sumo VANET, we have highlighted these research topics to sketch the notable process of research with our experts guidance. The following is about the applications in Sumo VANET.
- It is used to import the polygons and points of interest from various formats
- It deployed to translate the process towards the description and that is visualized through sumo-gui
- It is the microscopic simulation with the graphical user interface
- The network generator and importer are deployed through various formats to read the road networks and convert that towards the Sumo format
So far, we have discussed about the details of Sumo vehicular ad hoc network. Now, it’s time to acquire some knowledge about the dissertation topics in Sumo VANET with the assistance of our research experts. Below, we have mentioned the list of research topics based on this research area.
- Multi objective optimization algorithm based 2 Hop routing algorithm for CR-VANET
- VANET routing protocol simulation research based on Ns3 and Sumo
- Comparison and analysis performance in topology based routing protocols in vehicular ad hoc network
- Design and simulation of VANETs Testbed using Ns2, Sumo and OpenStreetMap
- W-GeoR: Weighted geographical routing for VANET’s health monitoring applications in urban traffic networks
The research scholars will be flabbergasted to know that still there are many more research topics based on Sumo vehicular ad hoc network being developed every now and then depending on the real time requirements in the society. Sumo VANET projects are execution finest guidance to make research projects, research implementation process, paper writing, proposal writing, paper publication and more. We have well experienced research experts and technical developers who are always ready to help the research scholars at all the time. Thus, the research scholars can reach us to aid more.