Transmission of data is a significant process with the interconnection of numerous devices or hosts. Similarly, computer networks are used to transmit the data among devices or mediums and it’s also called the network devices that consist of bridges, switches, routers, hubs, etc. This page deals with the significance of the quality of service parameters in computer networks.
What is QOS and why is it needed?
The main purpose of QOS is to regulate the packet loss and to decrease the jitter and latency of the network connection. For an instance, while you are in an IP call, some packets of audio might last during the transmission process but you can’t regain the audio packets because of the disruption and finally, the quality of the voice may irregular. In the determination process, the common issues are addressed and they are happened due to the lack of real-time stipulation and the issue occurs in the servers, transmission, bandwidth, routing, etc.
So far, we have discussed the uses of quality of service parameters in computer networks. The following is about the functions of the QOS in the computer network.
How does QOS work?
Generally, the network has the capability to transmit a limited amount of data in a given time. Here, the quality of service is accountable for the packets with the provision of a huge amount of bandwidth in the network. And finally, the tools in QOS provide the essential amount of internet within the required time limit. For example, during a video call the packets have pertained from the email, and here also some interventions may happen during the call and that leads to the delay process and the latency and jitter are experienced by the end-users.
How do you measure the network quality of service?
In the optimizing network, some significant metrics are used to measure the performance of the network. The substantial metrics which are used to measure the network performance are jitter, latency, throughput, packet loss indicators, bandwidth, etc. Hereby, we have listed down the characteristics and the purposes of the significant quality of service parameters in computer networks
- Mainly, latency is used for the measurement of the network delays
- Delays are measured by calculating the time taken for the data transmission
- If there is no delay the network leads to the 0 latency
- The following are used to measure the network latency
- The routing process among the ends
- The distance among the points
- The packet loss is the packets that didn’t reach their destination
- Through the packet loss, the performance of the network is measured
Bandwidth and Throughput
- Both are used to measure the network performance
- Throughput is the number of data that got transmitted to the receiver
- Bandwidth is the amount of data that is transmitted during the given time period
- Finally, the measurement of the network performance happens when the throughput is analysed the bandwidth
- It is recognized by the manifestation of the improved latency in the data packet
- It is measured by the detection of network VoIP applications